3/11/2014 11:11:00 AM District 876, Regular School Board Meeting Minutes
District 876, Regular School Board Meeting
february 25, 2014
1. Chair Rieger-Borer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
2. Board members present were: Jeanette Rieger-Borer, Katie Jones, Michael Holthaus, Paul Zabinski, and Jon Scheer. Alicia Millner and student representative Brian Hastings were absent.
3. Zabinski moved to approve the agenda with the following changes:
6.e. Additional resignation
8.i. Approval of contract with APA.
8.j. Approval of resolution on termination of a probationary teacher contract.
Scheer seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
4. Committee Reports:
a. Student Council: No Report
b. Advisory Committees: Principal Kuehn reported on the February, 2014 elementary meeting. Jones reported on the February, 2014 middle school meeting. Holthaus reported on the February, 2014 high school meeting. Zabinski reported on the February, 2014 1922 Reuse meetings
c. Wright Technical Center (WTC): Holthaus reported on the February 5, 2014 meeting.
d. MAWSECO: Zabinski reported on the February, 2014 meeting.
5. Community concerns and comments: Teri Rassatt and Teresa Ferrell requested the board consider hiring a School Resource Officer in our school district.
6. Scheer moved to approve the following action items under a consent agenda. Holthaus seconded. Motion passed unanimously
a. Minutes from the January 27 and February 5, 2014 meetings.
b. Approval of the January check register.
c. Approval of payment of building invoices.
d. Acceptance of the following donations:
1. $8,332.00 from Cardinal Athletic Foundation for Volleyball Equipment
2. $500.00 from Malco, to be applied to the Robotics Activity Fund.
3. $200.00 from Heart of Lake Triathlon, Inc., to be applied to the Dance Team Activity Fund.
4. $25.00 from Litchfield Eye Center, to be applied to the Robotics Activity Fund.
5. $2,000.00 from The Elementary Parent/Teacher Organization to be used at the Elementary School.
6. 6 Bikes donated by Friends of the Library.
7. $25.00 from an anonymous donor, to be applied to the Angel Fund.
e. Approval of the retirement of Paul Fliegel, AHS Spanish Teacher and resignation of Dale Paumen, AES custodian and Nick Hadfield, Special Education teacher at AHS.
7. Unfinished Business:
a. Superintendent Niklaus updated the board on the suggested process for study of the question of the value and services of a School Resource Officer in our school district.
b. Superintendent Niklaus updated the board on the sale of the Community Education building.
8. New Business:
a. Scheer moved to approve recognizing and congratulating the following students who have reached the state level of completion in their winter activities: Alyssa Fladebo - Section Champion in the floor exercise and competing in the MSHSL State Gymnastics Tournament in bars, beam and all-around. Angela Orr and Clair Tikkanen - Reached the State level of competition in Alpine Skiing. Matthew Fliegel - Selected as the Section 5A - Male Academic, Arts and Athletics Award winner. Will advance to State level in March. Jesscia Scheer - Placed first in the Regional Spelling Bee and will compete in the State Spelling Bee. Spencer Ogden and Joe Mosley - Placed second in the Section Wrestling Meet. Nate Carlson- Second in Section Wrestling Meet and sixth in the MSHSL Class AA State Meet. Tanner Vassar - Second in Section Wrestling Meet and third in MSHSL Class AA State Meet.
Jones seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
b. Jones moved to approve a proposal to add three new scoreboards to the AHS gymnasium funded by the Cardinal Athletic Foundation and donations from area businesses. Scheer seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
c. Holthaus moved to approve the proposed 2014-15 school calendar. Zabinski seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
d. Jones moved to approve the proposed budget for 2014-15 Integration funds. Zabinski seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
e. Scheer moved to approve replacing the roof on the 1961 addition of the middle school estimated at $170,000. Holthaus seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
f. Holthaus moved to approve participation in the Wellness Pilot Program sponsored by Resource Training and Solutions and BC/BS. Scheer seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
g. Superintendent Niklaus updated the board on the status of the projected general fund budget for 2014-15.
h. Scheer moved to approve employment of Luke MacLean as Head Baseball Coach for the 2013-14 spring season. Holthaus seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
i. Jones moved to approve the contract with the Annandale Principal Association. Scheer seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
j. Member Scheer introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION RELATING TO THE TERMINATION AND NONRENEWAL OF THE TEACHING CONTRACT OF HANNA KAUFMAN, A PROBATIONARY TEACHER.
The motion for the adoption of the forgoing resolution was duly seconded by member Holthaus and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Rieger-Borer, Jones, Scheer, Zabinski and Holthaus
and the following voted against the same: None
whereupon said resolution was duly passed and adopted.
9. Information Items:
a. Member Holthaus updated board on the development of a concept plan for a community recreation complex.
b. Superintendent Niklaus updated the board on weather related student/staff make up days.
c. Member Scheer updated the board on the Clay Target League.
d. Superintendent Niklaus and member Zabinski updated the board on the 1922 building.
e. The next regular monthly board meeting will be on Monday, March 17, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. in the Middle School Music Room.
10. Scheer moved to adjourn at 9:00 p.m. Zabinski seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
Michael Holthaus, Clerk
A copy of the official minutes is on file at the District Office and is available for public review.
(published in the annandale advocate, wednesday, march 12, 2014)