|6/11/2013 10:28:00 AM|
Annandale School Board Meeting Minutes
district 876, Regular School Board
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
1. Chair Rieger-Borer called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
2. Board members present were: Jeanette Rieger-Borer, Jon Scheer, Katie Jones, Michael Holthaus, Paul Zabinski and Student Representative Brian Hastings. Alicia Millner was absent.
3. Jones moved to approve the agenda with the following additions:
6.h. Additional resignation
9.e. Discussions with City of Annandale on outdoor recreation spaces
9.f. Athletic Conference discussions
Scheer seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
4. Committee Reports:
a. Student Council: New student representative Brian Hastings introduced himself.
b. Advisory Committees: Zabinski reported on the May, 2013 Community Education meeting.
c. Wright Technical Center (WTC): Holthaus reported on the May 7, 2013 meeting.
d. MAWSECO: Jones reported on the April 23 and May 21, 2013 meeting.
e. Athletics/Activities Scheer reported on the May, 2013 meeting.
5. Community concerns and comments: Community member Sue Schindele addressed the board regarding school safety concerns.
6. Zabinski moved to approve the following action items under a consent agenda. Holthaus seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
a. Minutes from the April 22, 2013 meeting.
b. Approval of the May check register.
c. Approval of payment of building invoices.
d. Approval of 2014 graduation ceremony date as May 30, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
e. Approval of employment for 2013-14 coaching positions of the following:
Amy Gagnon as Head Girls Basketball Coach.
Kaycee Knutson as Assistant Girls Track Coach.
f. Approval of Resolution for Membership in the Minnesota State High School League for 2013-14.
g. Approval of a high school music trip to Orlando, Florida in the Fall of 2015.
h. Approval of the following resignations:
Jake Hamlet, AMS science teacher
Tye Roberts as 8th grade baseball coach
i. Approval of the following donations:
1. $1,000.00 from Betty Gunnary, to be applied to the Scholarship Fund.
2. $500.00 from Bruce Kiehn, to be applied to the Scholarship Fund.
3. $400.00 from Federated Co-Ops, Inc., to be applied to the Scholarship Fund.
4. $750.00 from Annandale Youth First, to be applied to the Angel Fund.
5. $350.00 from Cardinal Athletic Foundation, to be applied to the High School Costa Rica Trip Fund.
6. $500.00 from Luther Honda, to be applied to the Business Professionals of America Activity Fund.
7. $200.00 from Subway, to be applied to the High School Music Department Fund.
8. $3,024.75 from Cardinal Athletic Foundation for Ball Sheds.
9. $5,000.00 from Cardinal Athletic Foundation, to be applied to the Business Professionals of America Activity Fund.
10. $10,127.00 from Annandale Gymnastics Boosters, Inc. for new gymnastics flooring.
7. Unfinished Business:
a. Zabinski moved to approve $385,812 in construction contingency budget for proposed changes/additions to the elementary school project. Holthaus seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
b. Holthaus moved to approve $373,533 in capital equipment expenditures for 2013-14. Jones seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
8. New Business:
a. Scheer moved to approve officially recognizing and congratulating the following students that have excelled in their activities:
Thomas Huling - Section 5A champion in Extemporaneous Speaking and competing in the MSHSL State Class A Speech Meet.
Christina Huling - Section 5A champion in Informative Speaking and competing in the MSHSL State Class A Speech Meet.
Students placing in the National BPA competition May 8-12 in Orlando, Florida.
Will Dammann - placing 5th in the Banking and Finance event
Ashley Peterson - placing 32nd in the Banking and Finance event
Katie Helwig, Will Dammann, Hannah Lisson and Cassie Rauschendorfer - placing 10th in the Administrative Team event.
Katie Helwig - placing 36th in the Advanced Word event
Zabinski seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
b. Superintendent Niklaus reviewed the 2013 Omnibus Education Bill and how it will affect our school district.
c. Zabinski moved to approve the following teachers to receive tenure at the conclusion of the 2012-13 school year:
Jessica Hanson, EBD teacher at Bendix Elementary
Laura Sellheim, 1st grade teacher at Bendix Elementary
Michelle Macalena, math teacher at AMS
Kevin Kampsen, math teacher at AMS
Jones seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
d. Member Jones introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION RELATING TO
THE TERMINATION AND
NONRENEWAL OF THE
TEACHING CONTRACT OF TAMMY HENDRICKSON, A
The motion for the adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Member Scheer and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Jon Scheer, Katie Jones, Jeanette Rieger-Borer, Michael Holthaus and Paul Zabinski
and the following voted against the same: None
whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
e. Jones moved to approve the following employment contracts for the 2013-14 school year:
Rebecca Quinn, science teacher at AMS
Ken Mielke, math teacher at AHS. Increase to .83 FTE in 2013-14 from .58 in 2012-13
Lindsey Westphal, 2nd grade teacher at AES
Samuel Weber, 2nd grade teacher at AES
Kaylee Batcha, Kindergarten teacher at AES
Scheer seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
f. Superintendent Niklaus updated board on the status of Bids for the Community Education Center.
g. Superintendent Niklaus reviewed potential school board meeting dates for the 2013-14 school year.
Final dates will be determined at the June meeting.
9. Information Items:
a. Superintendent Niklaus updated board on summer school, health insurance, collective bargaining meetings, discussions with the City of Annandale on outdoor recreation spaces and athletic conference discussions.
b. The next regular school board meeting will be on Monday, June 24, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. in the Middle School Music Room.
10. Jones moved to adjourn at 9:20 p.m. Scheer seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
Michael Holthaus, Clerk
A copy of the official minutes is on file at the District Office and is available for public review.
(published in the annandale advocate, wednesday, june 12, 2013)
Article Comment Submission Form